“Great food crafted thoughtfully”

Tavern on the Square
Reserve with OpenTable
Tavern on the Square is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 35 Restaurants in Westmount
Cuisines: French, Italian, Seafood, Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Phone number: 514-989-9779
Montreal, Canada
“Great food crafted thoughtfully”
Reviewed 3 July 2013

We've eaten here many times over the years and the quality of the food has never diminished. It's always tasty, always fresh, always interesting specials and never too formulaic. There are always several fish dishes, always excellently prepared and scrumptious. I recently had the tuna burger (a menu staple) for the first time and it was simply delicious, with just the right amount of spicy mayonnaise that didn't overpower the burger. Served with 1/2 fries and 1/2 salad, it's a perfect pairing. I've had on previous occasions meat dishes and pasta dishes, and have always come away pleased and satiated.

The service is always very good, some of the staff are real pros and will truly entertain. In our experience, the whole place is run very professionally. It is not overpriced (despite the Westmount location) when you consider the quality of the food presented. In my experience, the only complaint that can be made is that it can get quite noisy inside, as it is almost always packed full. There are a few bankettes along one side of the dining room, which can be a bit quieter that sitting at the tables in the center. The terrace can be a nice alternative when the weather permits, but space is limited. I will continue to go back here for more excellent food that is prepared with care, in a very pleasant setting. It's a neighbourhood resto with top notch food and service.

• Visited July 2013

“So Tasty!”
Reviewed 29 June 2013

My spouse and I had dinner at the Tavern last night. Can't say enough about the service. Our server answered all of our questions and was knowledgeable about the various dishes. Staff came by a number of times to make sure all was to our liking. As appetizers we ordered the fish taco and the Philly with onion rings. All sooooo good. Had to fight my spouse off for the onion rings, so light and tasty (far from greasy). For our main course we chose the veal and the halibut. Let's just say we cleaned up our plates. Our taste buds were ecstatic. Count on $100 per person, including wine. May be a little pricey for the "type" of food, but not so if taste is important to you.

The restaurant does tend to get a little loud, but was still able to speak to my spouse in a normal tone. If you are looking for a romantic setting, this is not the place. The name of the restaurant should allow anyone to figure that out.

We can't wait to go back.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank TaxGold
Montreal
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Food, zero horribleness about it...”
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Obviously our "zero horrible" (which actually makes it sound good) reviewer below, has no appreciation for good food. I've gone to this restaurant many times over the years, and have rarely had a bad meal there. The consistency of the quality of food and the way it's preparred shows that the head chef not only knows how to run a tight ship, but also puts thought and feeling into every dish and specialty. The staff is friendly and professional in my opinion. Being an avid restaurant goer, I can say that this is one of the consistently better meals I've had. Since they've changed the art on the walls, the ambiance has gone down a little. But if someone has an issue with their bill at the end, you are always entitled to read the prices on the menu before you order...
So "zero horrible" lady, a review like yours is just unfounded and actually doesn't really make any sense when you read it... Next time just go to Belle Province... I'm sure you couldn't tell the difference anyways.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Murray115
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“ZERO HORRIBLE IS THR PROPER WORD”
Reviewed 23 May 2013

Unrefined staff. Terrible service, staff making customers feel unappreciated. Way overpriced for the quality of food. Food arriving cold at the table. Owners should re-evaluate staff and make the necessary change. NEVER, EVER AGAIN, it was like throwing $200.00 in the garbage. Good luck to whoever desires to experience this.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank maria d
Montreal, Canada
“Honest food, way too pricey...you overpay (a bit) to be in Westmount”
Reviewed 12 April 2013

Couple of years since my last visit. Now I remember why. The food is generally ok, but the bill get's high rather quickly. This is how.

First, this place does not appear at first gate to have any speciality(ies). It serves a variety of plates without any relation one another. I guess that is a tavern approach, although other than that and the name, there is nothing of a tavern but a rather classic restaurant.

And classic it is. Conventionnal would be a better word. And this would be fine, if they were not charging as if you were getting fine fancy cuisine. Starters are roughly priced close to $15-20, while main courses vary from $25 but often closer to $40. Add a $12 dessert, a coffee, taxes and service and here you are in the zone of $100 per guess, without wine. And that could be for a steak with a pasta starter or any other common plate...I had shrimps (very common) and pasta and everything was ok, but frankly same level could be find anywhere for half this price.

Luckily, the wine list is honest in its pricing and well diversified so at least you do not hurt too much on that front. Service is effecient, not spectacular either.

So...my old question...if you are to spend this amount of money, would not rather be better to do it in places offering real innovation, fancier food, greater service and ambiance for about the same price?

The answer is obvious to me, that is why I prefer to hang in Old Montreal as opposed to overpay in Westmount. That is a personal choice :)

• Visited April 2013