“Food good noise level untenable”

Tavern on the Square
Reserve with OpenTable
Tavern on the Square is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 35 Restaurants in Westmount
Cuisines: French, Italian, Seafood, Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Phone number: 514-989-9779
Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

I like this restaurant but the noise level and acoustics are such that we w could not wait to leave. We will not go back. If an extremely loud environment does not disturb your experience the food is good.

2  Thank ricksala

Reviewed 3 July 2013

We've eaten here many times over the years and the quality of the food has never diminished. It's always tasty, always fresh, always interesting specials and never too formulaic. There are always several fish dishes, always excellently prepared and scrumptious. I recently had the tuna burger (a menu staple) for the first time and it was simply delicious, with just the right amount of spicy mayonnaise that didn't overpower the burger. Served with 1/2 fries and 1/2 salad, it's a perfect pairing. I've had on previous occasions meat dishes and pasta dishes, and have always come away pleased and satiated.

The service is always very good, some of the staff are real pros and will truly entertain. In our experience, the whole place is run very professionally. It is not overpriced (despite the Westmount location) when you consider the quality of the food presented. In my experience, the only complaint that can be made is that it can get quite noisy inside, as it is almost always packed full. There are a few bankettes along one side of the dining room, which can be a bit quieter that sitting at the tables in the center. The terrace can be a nice alternative when the weather permits, but space is limited. I will continue to go back here for more excellent food that is prepared with care, in a very pleasant setting. It's a neighbourhood resto with top notch food and service.

Reviewed 29 June 2013

My spouse and I had dinner at the Tavern last night. Can't say enough about the service. Our server answered all of our questions and was knowledgeable about the various dishes. Staff came by a number of times to make sure all was to our liking. As appetizers we ordered the fish taco and the Philly with onion rings. All sooooo good. Had to fight my spouse off for the onion rings, so light and tasty (far from greasy). For our main course we chose the veal and the halibut. Let's just say we cleaned up our plates. Our taste buds were ecstatic. Count on $100 per person, including wine. May be a little pricey for the "type" of food, but not so if taste is important to you.

The restaurant does tend to get a little loud, but was still able to speak to my spouse in a normal tone. If you are looking for a romantic setting, this is not the place. The name of the restaurant should allow anyone to figure that out.

We can't wait to go back.

1  Thank TaxGold
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Obviously our "zero horrible" (which actually makes it sound good) reviewer below, has no appreciation for good food. I've gone to this restaurant many times over the years, and have rarely had a bad meal there. The consistency of the quality of food and the way it's preparred shows that the head chef not only knows how to run a tight ship, but also puts thought and feeling into every dish and specialty. The staff is friendly and professional in my opinion. Being an avid restaurant goer, I can say that this is one of the consistently better meals I've had. Since they've changed the art on the walls, the ambiance has gone down a little. But if someone has an issue with their bill at the end, you are always entitled to read the prices on the menu before you order...
So "zero horrible" lady, a review like yours is just unfounded and actually doesn't really make any sense when you read it... Next time just go to Belle Province... I'm sure you couldn't tell the difference anyways.

1  Thank Murray115
Reviewed 23 May 2013

Unrefined staff. Terrible service, staff making customers feel unappreciated. Way overpriced for the quality of food. Food arriving cold at the table. Owners should re-evaluate staff and make the necessary change. NEVER, EVER AGAIN, it was like throwing $200.00 in the garbage. Good luck to whoever desires to experience this.

1  Thank maria d