“Winnipeg Area Gem”

Evergreen Gate Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 5 Selkirk B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 August 2010

The Evergreen B&B is a gem—an architecturally interesting modern structure with deep-set window ledges and a Roman arch window in the upstairs sitting room. The perennial border beyond the parking spaces looms romantically, lit by tiny fairy lanterns after dark. Rob Sargenson is a very inventive cook and has a great memory for the dietary limitations of repeat guests. Both Laurel and Rob are artistic, attentive, and savvy. My group received about half a dozen very useful tips when we inquired about lunch places in Winnipeg, good antique stores, etc. It was a delight to breakfast with the other guests in The Evergreen’s breakfast solarium the week of the Folk Festival.

Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Evergreen Gate Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed 21 July 2010

We had a wonderful stay at secluded Evergreen Gate B&B. The Safari room was quiet and comfortable with an elegant ensuite. We loved the hospitality and enjoyed a delicious breakfast with the other guests. Our hosts were attentive and had great suggestions for sightseeing in Winnipeg and the Selkirk area.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2010

I think it is now the fourth year that I have had the pleasure of staying with Laurel and Rob while visiting family in Selkirk. The accommodations are excellent and the breakfasts are outstanding.
The setting in magical and their hospitality is exceptional. Needless to say, I have no hesitation in recommending Evergreen Gate.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 November 2009

I don't know where to start. This B&B gets top marks in all areas. Our room was the perfect juxtaposition of spa amenities (hot tub) delivered within a home-like atmosphere. I was pleased and surprised to see that Evergreen Gate uses the same brand of organic shampoo that I have at home. Excellent provision of high quality toiletries-everything that you might need was provided. We arrived late (very late) in order to attend a local wedding the following morning. Despite our late arrival, Laurel waited up for us and greeted us with a friendly smile. The food was beyond amazing-to my disbelief, they were able to accommodate my special dietary needs safely and with a smile! As I have Celiac Disease and require a gluten free diet, as well as anaphylaxis to milk protein (casein, whey), it is next to impossible to eat outside my home. Rob and Laurel made me one of the best breakfasts I have ever had. Amazing. If you have Celiac and/or food allergies, this is your B&B. Thank you for the wonderful experience and wonderful food. Very interesting people, warm hospitality, and beautiful home. So glad we did not stay at a hotel! Check it out for yourself. Very clean, welcoming, and an overall wonderful experience.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2007

What a beautiful place--tranquil and peaceful. Laurel has done a wonderful job on her gardens, and when we visited this fall, the vines on the front of the house were changing to crimson red, a great backdrop for photos.

The accomodations were very well suited for our needs (two couples). We ended up booking the entire lower level (two bedrooms and shared rec room/kitchenette) at a very reasonable price.

The hosts Laurel and Rob were welcoming and experts at recommending local points of interest. After a leisurely breakfast, we took an afternoon bike tour down River Road to Lower Fort Garry. At night, we spent some time in the hot tub--very relaxing!

I would highly recommend this Bed and Breakfast for a couples getaway or for visitors looking to take in a scenic part of Manitoba. A wonderful experience start to finish.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank ArthurG
Reviewed 22 September 2007

Staying at Evergreen Gate Bed and Breakfast was such a delightful experience.The hosts, Rob and Laurel were absolutely wonderful and made us feel so welcome. From the amazingly decorated rooms (safari room, asian room and heritage rooms) to the tropical and delicious breakfasts, Evergreen Gate exceeded my expectations for any bed and breakfast. Strolling along the road near the B&B, one can take in the beautiful view of the Red River. At night, when wanting to relax, I sat in the new hot tub and breathed in the cool night air. What fun! Apparently, the hot tub is usable all year round. I'd love to try it in the middle of winter! Evergreen Gate was so convenient to get to; only 1 minute driving to Selkirk and under 30 minutes north of Winnipeg. My daughter is expecting a baby right now, and Laurel told me that they are putting together a 'Baby Moon' package, for expectant parents. (One last hurrah, before parenthood) Sounds great! All in all, I had a wonderful holiday, thanks to Evergreen Gate and Laurel and Rob!! [--]

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 7 August 2007

beautiful garden with widlife,oriental themed bedroom,super air-con and hot tub,healthy breakfast plus friendly and knowledgable hosts Rob and Laurel Sarginson.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Selkirk
Canalta Selkirk
#21 of 64 in Winnipeg
Fairmont Winnipeg
Fairmont Winnipeg
#7 of 64 in Winnipeg

Been to Evergreen Gate Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!