“Fantastic 3 day stay”
Review of The Clive

The Clive
Ranked #1 of 1 Bromfield B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 October 2008

This Clive is certainly worth a vist. The staff were friendly and attentive. Breakfasts and dinners were excellent. Our room, No 6, was spacious, very comfortable, clean, well serviced and above all, quiet. The bar area was comfotable, and you had the option of dining in the bar or restaurant. We tried both during our 3 day visit. Although full, the service was quick, the locally sourced food delicious. Possibly one small disappointment was that there was no local wine on the Wine List..............but I am being picky!
A big thank you to the Clive staff for making our stay perfect. We shall be returning in the New Year.

1  Thank Sherpa836

Reviewed 10 August 2008

We agree with other reviews that the lack of reception area was confusing but when we did track someone down to book us in she was pleasant and friendly as were all the staff during our one night stay.
Our bedroom, no. 111, felt rather public on a corner of converted outbuildings. It was looking on to the car park so had a 'motel' feel but it was spacious with a pleasant decor and a big modern bathroom and for us no shortage of hot water for showers.
As it was at ground floor level we didn't feel that it would be secure to leave a large window or the french door open all night, so although it was quite a cool night we absolutely sweltered in the room!!! A fan was available in the wardrobe but moving hot air around wasn't the answer but a grill on the window would have been great - secure but airy! Hinged louvered doors on the inside of the french windows were too flimsy to feel secure if the door had been left open but at 3am we did open them for a 20 minute breather!!!.
We liked the courtyard area outside the bar and although the building is quite close to a busy main road it didn't bother us at all even in the bedroom (and living in the depths of the countryside we aren't used to noisy or busy roads!)
We enjoyed a lovely dinner served by attentive pleasant staff. The price of the meal was fine but felt that a fairly ordinary wine was pricey.
We love Ludlow and have stayed in many hotels, pubs and B & B's in the area and although it would be a hike to walk into town from The Clive it is handy and the nicest place we have stayed when visiting Ludlow and would therefore definitely recommend it .

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank croggie
Reviewed 24 March 2008

My wife and I went to the Clive as part of a birthday weekend treat, we can recommend the Clive, courtyard room, modern, clean and a good size. Braving the lurking chickens by the bar door is worth it, good atmosphere and was lovely and cozy on a cold March day. Log fire, Peroni, nice fresh wrekin cheese sandwich, chips a bit cool but we can live with that.
We were booked in for Dinner, no starter tonight but my local produced steak was good ( and rare when asked for - infact a decent vet would have got it up and about with a little effort ) Louise's lamb was good also. I had local cheeses and Louise had the hot apple tatin really nice. The best petit fours ever !!! Excellent service and a bit of a bargain.
There is a walk from the Clive ( guide available in hotel) through the Earl of Plymouth's Estate through to Ludlow - 6 miles but well worth it, interesting semi-abandoned church yard on route, nice teashops etc in town, walk back ( apart fom the last 1/2 mile up A49 ) is good and needed after the meal the night before.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cowpuccino
Reviewed 20 February 2008

We had a brilliant time at the Clive even though we were a bit nervous having read some negative reviews! Everything turned out to be excellent - the bedrooms were big and stylish. The water in the shower was lovely and hot! The bedding was beautifully clean and soft. The food in the restaurant was wonderful and the wine was really nice too. The breakfast was particularly good because they were the only place we'd stayed at that produced lovely thick hot toast with the cooked breakfast and not ages before so that the toast is cold by the time the breakfast arrives! I will definitely go there again!

Stayed: February 2008
1  Thank alfiePembrokeshire
Reviewed 27 January 2008

We had looked on the internet for somewhere near Ludlow and the photos and menus for The Clive led us to believe it would be a great place. And it could have been, but...
Some artistic photography ensured that when we looked at all the advertising we didn't realise that the building is stood alone at the side of a road in the middle of nowhere - OK, the Ludlow Food Centre is very close, but although it sells great groceries it's not exactly pretty!
The main building is made up of two dining rooms, a bar and a seating area. There is no defined reception area and so guests need to go to either the restaurant or the bar to check-in/out depending on the time of day. We saw other guests being very confused by this.
The bedrooms are behind the main building in a courtyard area and are furnished in a modern, rather minimalist fashion. No real problems with this and the rooms were clean, but with so little to dust the cleaning staff could have ensured that the light over the bathroom mirror worked - being short-sighted I stood right in front of the full length mirror in the bedroom in order to apply my make-up, but my husband would have appreciated some light when trying to shave.
We both would have appreciated some hot water when showering!!! We complained in the evening and were told that they had tried the empty room next door and agreed the water was barely lukewarm, but the people in the room the other side of that had said that they had both enjoyed a lovely hot bath and the boiler seemed to be working OK, so they assumed it was simply a timing problem. As the hot water didn't last long enough to provide us both with a hot shower in the morning, we suggest they either get a bigger hot water tank, a new boiler or give each guest an individual time slot when it's best to bathe...
We have stayed in other "restaurant(s) with rooms" and have always enjoyed wonderful meals, but here our food was really disappointing. We had seen people in the bar ordering plates of mussels and fish and chips which looked really appetising. However, I ordered a selection of meats as a starter and it came without the pickled walnuts and walnut bread that was supposed to accompany it - a possible slip, but someone should have checked. Some of the sausages had been cut so thick that I felt like one of my dogs chewing a rawhide strap. Thinking that maybe it was just me, I gave some to my husband, but it was sometime before he could swallow and agree with me... For my main course I had chosen lamb, but although I don't mind a little fat on my meat, at least 50% of the portion was fat and had to be left; what remained of my meal could have been served on a small side plate. My husband had ordered a rare steak but fared little better as one half of the steak was completely over cooked and the sauce (gravy granules with a few peppercorns) was too salty to eat. As staff completely disappeared after serving the food and did not re-appear until it was time to collect the plates, they seemed to care little about whether diners enjoyed their meals. Needless to say we declined any further courses and finished our remaining wine in the seating area to the side of the bar.
Breakfast was little better. Not a great selection to choose from, and the buffet table only contained packeted cereal, juice and a bowl of re-hydrated fruit, which looked rather unappetising. I skipped the lot and just had toast, but husband decided on the haddock. Big mistake! Although undyed, it was freezer burnt on one side and had the texture of something that had been microwaved from frozen rather than poached. Most of that was left too...
Would we stay there again? With a bill that was in excess of £200, definitely not - I'd rather spend £56 on a Travelodge room, £4 on two Big Macs With Fries, and blow £20 on a bumper breakfast in Little Chef!!!

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TheOddCouple07
Reviewed 22 January 2008

Don't get me wrong, The Clive is POTENTIALLY a fantastic place to stay and eat. However....

The property is a "restaurant with rooms" so has no easy to find reception. It's not a hotel, why should it. This is not a major problem, but when someone is complaining about the menu when you are trying to check in, it puts you on your guard.

The bar area, checking in area, is in need of a touch up! Many of the modern metal and leather (?) chairs are are badly scuffed giving the place a decidedly tired appearance. The glass tables were covered in finger prints (you have to clean them from below as well....).

Whilst we were having a drink in the bar area, someone from the restaurant asked if we would like a window table for our evening restaurant booking, we said yes, that would be nice - we didn't get a window table... more on the rest. later.

Our room was, as they all are, behind the main building in a barn conversion. The room was very spacious and modern, but just lacking in something. I couldn't put my finger on it, but I felt as if I was in an upmarket Travelodge. There was space to do something fantastic with the room, but it hadn't been done. Yes the fittings were modern and clean, but it was tatty round the edges. If you are going to do it, do it properly - especially if you charge £110 per night. Please fix the soap dish which kept falling off the wall. Another guest was complaining that they had little or no hot water, we did not have this problem. The fan wasn't working in the bathroom though!

At night I was first kept awake by the bright lights illuminating the impressive brickwork.... they went off at either 11 or 12 o'clock though. But the Ludlow Food Market on the same piece of land is currently being converted and it wasn't until the morning that I realised it was a large quantity of orange plastic fencing that was blowing around outside our bedroom window that kept me awake.

Please, neighbouring guests in rooms, take your high heels off, the wooden floor means footsteps carry all the way into other rooms.

Ok, the restaurant. Lovely, lovely food - no complaints there. But why didn't we get our window seat, we were offered an alternative place to sit, but this was next to a large group of people, so we plumped for the quieter table. This was in a corner, slightly sheltered from the Norah Jones ambience music, opposite the kitchen doors. Every time, and I mean every time, a member of the large staff (what were they all doing - not looking after customers) stepped down from the platform leading into the kitchen, the floor beneath our table wobbled to such a degree that if you were canny, you could have stuck your bottle of wine on the edge, and claimed a new bottle every time it fell off. If was like sitting in an earthquake zone. Yes, we should have moved, there were plenty of tables for 4 in the middle of the room, but these had not been offered to us and I originally thought they must have been reserved - they weren't.

We didn't mention the above upon checking out as a member of the restaurant staff took our money, not even asking if we'd had a nice stay - we hadn't.

Now, I did hear it mentioned by a local that this property is having financial problems - so I don't know if that has a bearing on the above.

Personally, I don't think this was value for money and was a classic case of style over substance.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carol C
Reviewed 18 January 2008

The Clive was recommended to me by a friend and I was really pleased that I listened to him. The room in the barn conversion was lovely - amazingly spacious and with a lovely bathroom - which had a powerful shower above the bath. If I have to gripe about anything then it would be that the large TV on the desk/dressing table area takes up a lot of space which was a problem when I was trying to use my laptop and have numerous files out at the same time. (A nice sleek flat screen on the wall above would be far cooler!). However, all is forgiven as there was free wireless connection. Although the place is really convenient for the main A49 road there was no traffic noise that I could hear.
And then the restaurant ....the food was absolutely fabulous - really, really good. I would recommend the venison with parsnip chunky chips to anyone! Restaurant staff were friendly and pleasant - and attentive without being a pain.
Next door to the site (across the car park) is the Ludlow Food Centre which is well worth a visit for any foodie wanting to stock up on good ingredients.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank Yblodyntatws
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bromfield
The Cliffe at Dinham
Dinham Hall Hotel
Dinham Hall Hotel
#6 of 8 in Ludlow
Travelodge Ludlow Hotel

Been to The Clive? Share your experiences!