“Meal for 43.”

Ranked #1 of 1 Bromfield B&B and Inns
Bishops Castle, England, United Kingdom
“Meal for 43.”
Reviewed 2 September 2014

Absoloute fantastic service from first telephone call to vist. Beautiful food served by friendly & efficeint staff all served with perect timing. Nothing was to much trouble would highly recommend for a large party booking. Thank you Clive for making my special day hassle free and so enjoyable. Will definatley be coming back.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
UK
Reviewed 26 August 2014

As someone who has eaten regularly at the Clive over many yearsI was Really disappointed with the whole experience on my last visit. The service has gone downhill and the food with it. As I only wanted a light lunch I ordered the Chicken Caesar salad (seeing that it came with chips I thought I can leave those)Well I and the rest of our party could not believe what was given to me.It looked like a sharing meal from a Kentucky fried chicken advertisement.Very pleasant Caesar salad in the centre a small portion of chips and then a vast" pile" of deep fried Whitebait and Horror of Horrors not 1 but 3 enormous deep fried slices of Chicken breast in a greasy breadcrumb crust.On commenting to the waitress that this was not what one normally expects as a Caesar salad the attitude was well that's how we do it take it or leave it !!!!!
Having read other recent reviews I feel a total rethink of the menu and staff training is in order and wonder how long the Manager is going to use the excuse" we only took over a few months ago."

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Ginny5
Edward799, Manager at The Clive, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
Thank you for this review. After receiving this I reviewed the salad with our chef. He serves a traditional Caesar salad on a large board with whitebait, chips and chicken goujons. It is as I can see not the usual Caesar and looks large on the board on which it is served. I asked chef to reduce it to a traditional Caesar, served in a bowl. Sadly the outcome has been complaints from customers who loved it as it was. To be fair to chef and the waiting staff, they did tell me that it was hugely popular.
West Sussex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2014

The rooms are large and spacious. Unfortunately on our first night there we were woken by a fire alarm. We evacuated our room quickly throwing on jackets and joined other guests by the car park. No staff member joined us. The restaurant door was locked but we could see someone inside. Despite knocking on the window and the girl looking up we were ignored. One of the deputy managers eventually arrived in her car and dashed into the restaurant building. The alarm stopped. We found it worrying that no one appeared to look after guests and the duty manager was off site. What if it had been a fire? An e mail arrived while staying there apologising for the disturbance but no apology for lack of staff! The offer of a drink was made should we visit again! On our last night before the e mail was read, we ate at the restaurant. The service was dreadful due to a party of 11 arriving late so we were told; no offer of a complimentary drink. It was 30 minutes before we were even able to order wine let alone our food. The chef was ranting at someone in the kitchen and could be heard in the restaurant.When our meal eventually arrived the veal was raw although seared on the outside. It was sent back. We had the summer fruit pudding and our response is the same as a previous reviewer. If The Clive can sort out its customer care and staff training it could be a good place to stay and eat. Needless to say we shan't be getting our free drink as we shan't go back.

Room Tip: We stayed in 215 which was large and comfortable. Quiet as well.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sunflower189
Edward799, General Manager at The Clive, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
I have responded directly to this customer having also received an email and letter of complaint.
On the night in question, our fire alarm sounded and guests evacuated their rooms. We have our own Operations Manager who has responsibility the security and wellbeing of guests. She had spent time reviewing The Clive alarms; we have replaced old equipment and spent time on training.
When we took over I had concerns about there being no live in manager, but with only 14 bedrooms this is not feasible. However I have a small team who are on call- out, living one mile away. I have also employed a full time janitor for the whole business who will move into his home just off site imminently. We have three residents in the hotel, all staff members.
On the night in question, when the alarm was activated, one of the staff in residence went to the alarm; the other went to find out the cause. They did not give sufficient time to guests. We have conducted new training and all are now clear as to their responsibilities.
In checking with the longer serving members of staff, I have discovered that this was in fact the first instance of the alarm being sounded. We have discovered a fault which has been rectified. Sadly but as can happen, despite training, it can take an actual event to highlight issues.
We are reviewing serving veal. All of our meat is reared by our farm and is normally one of our strengths. Our veal is rose veal, not the pale imported veal, and is best served pink. That being said, I am sorry that yours was not served to your liking, although I am glad this was remedied. The food served at The Clive is of the highest importance being mainly sourced from our own farm, vegetables from the owning family’s walled garden and production at the Food Centre where we make our own cheeses, yoghurts, ice cream, bread, cakes, biscuits, jams and our own cured meats and all butchery products. There are few restaurants that can claim to make as much “in house”. With regards to the slow service and shouting in the kitchen, please be assured that I take both very seriously and have dealt with both severely.
Please again accept my apologies.
Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2014

On returning to the Clive again after two years,we found the high standards being maintained and even improved upon. This time we had a family suite when we stayed with our granddaughter. The rooms were large and well maintained and provided us with excellent accommodation. Some recent reviews have not been complimentary, and we think the writers have been totally unfair. Breakfast each morning was a pleasure. Good selection of cereals and juices,excellent coffee and a list of fine hot meals,all of which were quickly delivered. The toast,the sausages and bacon,now provided by the Ludlow food centre were of the highest quality ,and the jams and marmalade from the same source could not have been bettered.
Well trained staff were always polite and efficient and made our stay even more enjoyable.
Evening meals could not be faulted. We tried the beef,the veal,the pork,the lamb and the fish and would recommend them all without hesitation. Desserts were just so good ! Service and presentation excellent.
Lunches were fine with good choices.
Only slight complaint would be that the menu does not change during the week so we had to order the same dishes more than once. A daily dish of the day would have improved the situation.
But all in all,a fantastic break and a staff who deserve the highest praise.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms for easy access.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Willkommen
Sandhurst, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We spent one night at the Clive this week. The first thing that strikes you is that there isn't a proper reception area, you book in/out at the bar! However, the staff are, in the main, friendly and helpful.

The restaurant unfortunately doesn't meet the same standard. I ordered as a main the "fish of the day" dish which was Lemon sole. This was delivered with what can only be described as a congealed lump of pasta dumped on top of the sole, with an in-descript sauce poured over it. However, that may have been to hide the fact that the sole was grossly over-cooked, effectively ruining the delicate fish. My wife had the seafood pasta dish which mimicked the congealed lump of pasta and sauce that I had had with the fish. The best part was dessert, my wife ordered the "summer pudding", her favourite dessert. It turned out to be what I guess the chef thought was a de-constructed attempt, however, it was just dry sponge that hadn't been soaked in summer fruit juices, just stacked up by using poor quality cream and some fruit - it was a joke and as a chef I would have been ashamed to serve it to a paying customer.

My advice to visitors is, certainly stay in the rooms, but eat elsewhere, as being near to Ludlow there are plenty of good eateries in town.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your meal. I have discussed this with our chef and his team. We source quality fresh fish and there is no excuse for it to be overcooked. I am very sorry for this fault. We make our own pasta, and as this can continue to cook after removal from the pan, we will see how best to avoid the issue.
After reading your report on the summer pudding I asked chef to make one to taste. It’s a lovely looking dish. Home baked brioche (not sponge) is stacked with fresh fruit, whipped cream from the local dairy (not “poor quality cream”) and fresh fruit syrup. However I asked chef to review this and whilst keeping the brioche, to look at a traditional version served from a bowl where the sauces have steeped with the fruits to soak the bread. We immediately received requests from customers who preferred the previous version.
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

A great hotel, modern family room, clean and tidy and very spacious. Food in the restaurant was first class. We enjoyed a drink in outside before dinner and there was a great atmosphere. Breakfast was included and again first class using local ingredients. Ludlow was only a few minutes away and there is also a great food outlet next to the hotel selling great local produce.

Room Tip: Family rooms were very modern clean and tidy.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Worcestershire
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Although the room was fine on the whole, the food was disappointing. We agree that the lamb was tough. Ours was also "cooked" far too quickly for the cut of meat, resulting in tough, almost raw lamb. Breakfast too was uninspiring and boring. The omelette was appallingly solid and unappetising. We raised these issues with the general manager but, sadly, he is the kind who refuse to accept that there may be a problem with his establishment. Basically, The Clive has huge potential but certain aspects needed to be addressed urgently.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Edward799, General Manager at The Clive, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Thank you for this review. I note that your visit was some time ago, and although there is reference to a complaint to a member of staff, I am sorry but we have not been able to identify this. As we rear our own meat, I have looked into this with our butcher and chef. We will review the lamb dish immediately. I have asked chef to ensure that omelettes are better. As we serve quite a few at breakfast which seem to be enjoyed, I can only put this down to human error and apologise. As for you comments about our breakfasts, I am at a loss. We serve croissants, home made compote and fruit yoghurt, home baked bread, our and own cured bacon, sausages, black pudding and other hot options.
I am sorry that you had such a poor experience, and as noted above will look into the various complaints.
Edward Berry
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bromfield
The Cliffe at Dinham
#2 of 48 in Ludlow
The Townhouse Ludlow
The Townhouse Ludlow
#5 of 48 in Ludlow

Been to The Clive? Share your experiences!