“Over rated”

Price range: US$18 - US$40
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: 15 En-suite bedrooms situated in period outbuildings tastefully converted to provide contemporary accommodation. Bedrooms are very well equipped and some suitable for families. With an emphasis on fresh local produce the Clive Restaurant is renowned for locally sourced food, two AA Rosettes and entries in the Good Food and Michelin Guide. The Bar offers less formal dining and lighter menu. Located in Bromfield just 2 miles north of Ludlow with ample parking.
Reviewed 5 September 2013

The venue is very smart, if a little strange in that when you enter the main door, you have to walk through the restaurant to the bar for pre dinner drinks. There were 4 in our party and two sent main courses back as the duck and the monkfish was under cooked. It took some time to get a waiters attention but they did put it right in the end.

Reviewed 1 September 2013

I met my parents here today having been to the cafe at the food centre and found is very over priced and disappointing so we though we would give the Clive a go!

The Sunday menu was a great mix of roasts and a good variety of other meals. I was pleased about this as I am not a massive fan of roasts. I opted for the fish and chips. The fish was a giant one! A little too big but was gorgeous. The batter was tasty and plenty of fresh white meat and the chips were home made and very tasty. There lovely surprise was the home made tartar sauce! Yummy!

My parents both had ham, egg and chips. My father said the ham was the nicest he has ever had and he likes his ham! He said it was perfect and not at all salty.

While we were there a gentleman had what seemed to be a heart attack. I thought he was going to die! His lady friend would not let us call an ambulance. I fear for his life and pray that he did not have another bigger one later.

The staff were very kind and attentive. Great service!

Worth a visit if you are passing Ludlow and hungry!

Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

A nice evening with good food and a fair price for the standard of food served. Drinks were particularly well priced for a restaurant of this type. Only complaint was that the bar staff completely ignored us until the manager asked if we were being served and told one of the bar staff to serve us

Reviewed 9 August 2013

Imaginative food which was well presented and cooked to perfection. The staff were attentive and helpful, the service good and the decor pleasant, the wine list was extensive

Reviewed 31 July 2013

I took my parents for lunch at The Clive for my father's 88th birthday treat. Neither of us fancied a main course but asked if we could have a starter scaled up to main course proportions so we could share. The price was certainly scaled up! The food was good, but the gravadlax just tasted of vinegar which killed any crab flavour.

We were starving afterwards so tried vainly to get someone's attention for the desert menu. Out of the three waiting staff available only one seemed capable of smiling and engaging with us as people. Eventually, my father's attempts at getting someone's attention was rewarded with the smiley waitress

We felt like we were intruding on the staffs time and consequently, unwelcome. The bill did not reflect our experience at The Clive and was far from the celebration we had hoped for. We went around the corner and found the delightful cafe which will be our next venue - just hope he makes it to 89!

We will neither return to The Clive nor recommend it. Very disappointed.

1  Thank Rachael G