“Excellent Summer Menue”

Price range: US$18 - US$40
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: 15 En-suite bedrooms situated in period outbuildings tastefully converted to provide contemporary accommodation. Bedrooms are very well equipped and some suitable for families. With an emphasis on fresh local produce the Clive Restaurant is renowned for locally sourced food, two AA Rosettes and entries in the Good Food and Michelin Guide. The Bar offers less formal dining and lighter menu. Located in Bromfield just 2 miles north of Ludlow with ample parking.
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Popped by last Saturday, for lunch, excellent menue, something for everyone, i had the Antipasti and wow what a plate full, really nice, then had Lime & Chocolate Panacotta , excellent, Hubby had the steak.

Very impressed, will defiantly be booking a evening meal there in the near future

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Poorly cooked food . Cleanliness of public areas leaves a lot to be desired.Sticky tables .grubby chairs.

Edward799, General Manager at The Clive Bar & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

I have tried to contact this reviewer to establish when this guest visited, but with no success. We also received another review from the same customer for the same visit on with another entry for The Clive. I have given a detailed reply to this. I take these reviews very seriously, but in turn believe that any review should be balanced. For the record, we receive plenty of good reports for our cooking, which uses our own reared beef, lamb and Gloucester Old Spot pork, home grown vegetables, home baked bread and our own made cheeses. That being said, any chef can make an error and we always ask customers if they are happy and if not we can deal with this immediately at the time. Also for the record, some of the furniture is quite old and having only taken over this establishment in November last year, we have a major refurbishment project and will get to the bar furniture in due course. We have very high standards of cleanliness and our tables are not normally sticky.
I can only apologise that this guest was so unhappy with the experience so as to feel obliged to enter two entries for the same visit
Edward Berry
Managing Director.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Ludlow's reputation for being a food capital is overstated - if you visit on a Monday. The town was as quiet as a church mouse when we arrived. The only serious option, once we had tracked down a cab firm willing to take a booking, was to travel three miles out of town to The Clive.

The food was good, the service a little haphazard, but a memorable experience and I would definitely return.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Having struggled to find a good meal in a Ludlow the night before we noticed The Clive on our way out sight seeing and we stopped on the way back. It was a wedding anniversary meal for us and we couldn't have chosen better! On a Monday night the nice spacious, light and airy dining room filled up quite quickly so it looks like reservations are a wise move!

The service was very good and meals appeared quite quickly but you never felt rushed. Food was excellent - Feather steak is always a favourite and this was braised to perfection - the fillet steak which accompanied it was the tenderest I think I've ever had - definitely melt in the mouth perfect. The cheese board featured local cheeses including a very nice Ludlow Blue.

We would be very happy to return

Reviewed 19 July 2014

We'd eaten here before and enjoyed our meals and so were looking forward to trying it again. Unfortunately, while the service was friendly our fish tagliatelle was very poor. The pasta was an overcooked soggy stodge and the shellfish it was meant to contain seemed totally absent. Unlikely we'll return.

Edward799, General Manager at The Clive Bar & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Thank you for reviewing The Clive. I am sorry that you did not enjoy the tagliatelle. I have discussed this with our Head Chef and we have looked at the dish and its preparation together with our Duty Manager. We make our own pasta at The Clive and unlike rehydrated pasta this is more delicate and can overcook easily. As the pasta is freshly cooked to order, we have noted that with the addition of the seafood sauce it is possibly continuing to cook in the bowl and as a result you found it to be stodgy. We are looking at ways to avoid this, blanching and refreshing the pasta but without serving the pasta cold. I am concerned that you found the sauce to be so short on seafood. This is normally a very generous dish with an excellent fresh fish stock based sauce with plenty of seafood which might include jumbo prawns or langoustine, crayfish, squid, mussels or salmon as well as cream. The Clive is very rarely challenged on portion size! I can only apologise that you were not happy with this dish.
I have discussed this with the front of house team and have not been able to find a record of any complaint with regards to this dish. I always hope that if customers are not happy, they will let us know at the time so that we can immediately rectify the situation. I appreciate however that some people do not find this easy. These are the sorts of comments however which will help us to improve. I make no excuse, but freshly prepared food can vary. We do our best and work hard through both our food and service to ensure that customers leave happy and regrettably with you we have failed, for which I apologise.
Edward Berry