Beringgis Beach Resort & Spa
US$45
US$29
US$32
  • Pool
Eminent Hotel(Kota Kinabalu)(Great Value!)
US$33
Very Good 4/5
Jia by SKYPOD(Kota Kinabalu District)(Great Value!)
US$66
US$36
US$35
Priceline
  • Beachfront
Zara's Boutique Hotel(Kota Kinabalu)
US$51
US$42
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
Good 3.5/5
All reviewsshuttle busbeach resortbreakfast buffetout of the wayshuttle servicestayed nightsdeluxe roombeautiful gardencouple of daysrooms are nicenoodlesthis place offersheavy trafficmain buildingthe check in processrunning aroundnice pool area
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 December 2009

I stayed here for a week during the Chinese New Year Holiday and was very happy with Berringis Beach Resort and the staff. The shuttle buses SHOULD have been free though but were quite a bit cheaper than taking a taxi - I found Malaysia to be quite expensive for things like taxis in comparison to other parts of Asia.
The room could have been cleaner, the bathtub leaked when I took a shower and the TV was a bit fuzzy but I was just there to escape the hustle and bustle of Seoul which I did. It rained almost every afternoon but the mornings were fabulous with lots of sun and great temperatures for getting a tan and swimming in the pool which was quite nice. There were also masseuses by the pool side available for foot and full body massages at a decent price and they felt nice!
The beach wasn't very nice with its dark coloured sand and murky water so I didn't attempt to swim in it although there were others swimming. The website also advertised a variety of water sports available to hotel guests but from what I can see, this was not true. The kayaks were beat up and sitting on shore and looked like they hadn't been touched and no one was in the vicinity of them to look as though they were renting/loaning them out.
The buffet breakfast was okay but got a bit repetitive. I did enjoy the Cabana Cafe on a whole though with the option of sitting in a cabana and having food delivered there. The lasagna was really good and all of the food was quite cheap in comparison to the drinks on the menu. There's also a little Malaysian restaurant across the street from the resort (hard to miss seeing as there's nothing else in the area) which has very cheap food and it's quite tasty...if you're not a clean freak - there were lots of flies and plastic crockery!
Geoffry, the trip planner, was also fabulous. He recommended some good trips but I would advise going with ANOTHER company for the Mount Kinabalu trip - I was very disappointed with the amount of wait time at other hotels/resorts waiting for guests, the overall amount of time actually spent at the mountain (which was LESS than 30 minutes), the condition of the bus was poor and we were passed by ALL other traffic up the mountain and the tour guide's English was poor all the while she talked about how we'd see the biggest flower in the world on the trip only to be told "it doesn't grow this time of year" when we got to the botanical gardens. VERY disappointing! I was given some compensation for this though and Geoffrey was very understanding of my complaints.
The resort is quite far from Kota Kinabalu city (about 30 minutes) but I didn't mind because I found the city to be dirty and a bit intimidating to try and explore on my own with locals coming up and talking to me everywhere. I went in once and had no desire to revisit. I was happy to stay in the secluded little paradise that Berringis Resort had to offer :)

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank Melinda M
Reviewed 26 October 2009

• Stayed: October 2009
Reviewed 13 October 2009

• Stayed: October 2009
Reviewed 28 September 2009

The resort is in a remote location 26km from downtown Kota Kinabalu and 20km from the airport, which makes it useful to have your own transport.

The two-story accommodation blocks are grouped around a pleasant garden and swimming pool. The gardens continue about 200m to the cafe/restaurant which overlooks a long and deserted sandy beach fringed by palm trees.

Our group from Explore holidays stayed here three nights at the end of a tour which included some very basic jungle accommodation and a hut on Mount Kinabalu. After these privations, the Beringgis Beach resort seemed like heaven.

We were delighted with the luxurious surroundings and in particular the soft beds. The room was quiet, clean, air-conditioned and well appointed. The only thing that didn't work was a light bulb, which was finally fixed on our second day. In view of this and previous reviewers' complaints about patchy housekeeping, we feel the management should put more effort into maintaining the rooms and less on deploying a small army of staff each morning to sweep up leaves.

From the reception assistants to the cleaners and ubiquitous 'leaf crews', the staff seemed pleasant and always had a greeting for us. The pool was very pleasant and featured a small flume.

Catering was less impressive. We had all our breakfasts and dinners in the beachfront Cabana cafe. The food was only adequate. They tried to offer a wide ranging menu of Western and Oriental dishes but excelled in neither. Pizzas were soggy, noodles were luke warm and curries were bland. The service was erratic, with delays in taking people's orders and, in my case, a mistake in the bill. The food situation alone would put me off staying here for more than a couple of nights.

• Stayed: September 2009