Interested in Barbados?
We'll send you updates with the latest deals, reviews and articles for Barbados each week.
Topics include Dining Scene, For Foreign Visitors & more!
As a visitor, you don't have to flag down a taxi. The drivers always stop and ask if you need a ride somewhere. Taxis for the most part are economical. Their fares are in proportion to rising fuel prices on the island. For taxi fares from the airport, see this.
For taxi fares from other points around the island:
It is not advisable to take a taxi any and everywhere. If you can take the bus, do so. If you need a specific type of taxi, for example a BMW, Lexus, Mercedes or Rolls Royce, that can be arranged.
Hired cars can be of great value if you don't wish to have a taxi take you any and everywhere. Don't let Barbados' small size fool you. There are more than 900 miles of winding roadways and highways. So while it may be easy to navigate your way around, there are loads of ways to get lost. Mini moke and car rentals are the most popular and you will find the price IS the price-no extra hidden fees. There are many vehicle rental agencies and many of them offer pick up and delivery, 24 hour emergency service and airport drop-off. Several rental companies also offer van rentals for the larger groups or bigger families. The average van holds six to nine people and they are comfortable, relatively roomy and some even have AC. Bicycles and motorcycle rentals are also available, but be very careful if you decide to 'bike it'. Many bike and motorcycle rentals do not include insurance and if you are not used to biking on narrow, shoulder less roads, you might do better to either rent a vehicle, 'catch bus', or walk. You need your driver's license to obtain a temporary visitor's permit, which most rental agencies can issue on the spot. The fee is $5USD and you must have a local license to drive or motorbike here.
As they say, there are loads of ways to get lost! The paper tourist maps don't show much detail, and there aren't many road signs. The best way of finding your way around is to use Garmin GPS - most companies below will rent you GPS systems as add ons to your rentals!
Popular and highly recommended Car Rental companies include:
Stoutes Car Rental - www.stoutescar.com ****
Courtesy Rent-A-Car - www.courtesyrentacar.com ***
Drive-A-Matic - www.carhire.tv *****
Coconut Car Rentals - www.coconutcars.com **
Top Car Rentals - www.barbadoscarrentals.com ***
Direct Car Rentals - www.barbadosrentals.net **
M.A.H Car Rentals - http://www.mahcarsbarbados.com/ **
Triple A's Transport & Courier Services -- http://www.bbyellow.com/company/14535... *
Voyager Rent-A-Car Barbados -http://www.voyagerbarbados.com*****Eco-Friendly Car Rentals:
If you want to be eco-friendly and save tons of money on gas, try Electric Car Rentals - www.goelectricrentals.com. Electric Car Rentals offers Hybrid vehicles!****
If you prefer to rent a luxury vehicle such as a Lexus or Mercedes take a look at Executive Car Rentals. They also carry lines such as Suzuki and Toyota. - www.executiverentalsinc.com
Mix and compare and see who comes out cheapest with the vehicle and conditions you prefer.
Taxi Driver List
This is a listing of taxi services used by regular travellers to Barbados, you can find who made the recommendations and more insightful comments by going to the following link . http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g... This list will be periodically up dated.
1. Winston's Taxi Service (Christchurch) Cell: 246-230 1966 Knowledgeable, reliable and reasonably priced. Nice guy! (used January - February '11)
2. Nigel - email@example.com 246 249 4477 South coast based but will go anywhere. Used March/April 2015. New-ish van, on time and very reasonable rates. Very reliable.
3. Curtis, smallish van, clean people carrier ,very nice, chatty, helpful guy and highly recommended for Island tours as well as day to day use 232-9658
4. William, large van, clean van, very personable, jolly chap who also has a brother in the business if he can't accommodate you. 823-0526
5. Harold, large van clean van, very shy and quiet, but totally reliable just don't expect a chat on your trip ! 232-0202 All these drivers (3,4,5)have newish, well looked after vehicles. They are all based near to Holetown .
6. Sanjay Kini, taxicabby on Trip Advisor , firstname.lastname@example.org or call him on 246-262-1296.
7. leroy taxi service 246 232-4172 or email@example.com if u want a fun time in wonderful barbados i am the guy i give beautiful tours and i know the island really well .
9. Roger 830-4970, or ask for him in the Sunset Crest Convenience Store. A very pleasant guy.
10. Chris Adams - (246) 231-3566 - think he will take anything from 2 to 12 people - new, very clean, large van - have used him often - pleasant, reliable, safe driver. Usually works on west coast - so covers Speightstown, Mullins, Holetown, Paynes Bay, Fitts Village, Bridgetown and everything in between - will also schedule airport runs. Have always called, but email on his card is firstname.lastname@example.org
11. Perry Haynes tel (246) 266-3336 or email email@example.com Used Perry to do client pickups from the airport and trust him to provide excellent and prompt service. He has a 7 seater vehicle which is clean and well maintained, which is his primary vehicle. He also has a large, modern, Honda sedan that will take up to 4 passengers, which he used to go to The Cliff restaurant. Used him several times and always on time. Very friendly, knowledgeable and funny guy with a great attitude and he always has a smile. Mainly based on the west coast, Holetown, but also does airport pick-ups and drop-offs and tours of the island.
12. Roger Walcott (Tel : 1-246-8333466 or 1-246-2505105) A great taxi guy on the West Coast, used on the last 3 visits. He has a 10 seater vehicle that is new and very comfortable with A/C. He does Airport pick-ups, Tours, and also works late night.
13. Thoroughly recommend Rodney Rock Taxi service and you can call him on 263 5387. He is a lovely friendly guy and very reliable.
14. Definitely recommend Apple Taxi. He can be reached at 239-0637 or email at Bajanapple@hotmail.com.
15. If you need reliable and friendly transportation on the South Coast use Dayne Babb (246)266-7391/ (246)235-7391. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org The name of his company is The Beauty of Barbados Tours and Travel.
16. Andy Wood - 246 239 0786. Works and lives around Maxwell and the Gap, he will of course go anywhere. An extremely polite and courteous driver. He can also be reached by email at email@example.com He gives a great tour. Used him recently. Great service and amazing tour! Highly recommended. www.andywoodtaxi.com
17. Keisha's Taxi Services. Lady Driven Transport At Its Best. For all your transportation needs 1-(246) 247-7627 or email ( firstname.lastname@example.org)
18. Triple A's Transport & Courier Services 1-246-827-2134 (Alex) He's a affordable and reliable 24hr car rental and transport service. Found him and booked http://www.bbyellow.com/company/14535... or email@example.com
19. Andy's Taxi Service, 1-246-2303135 or 1-246-8275012. Clean, Reliable Transportation at affordable prices. All your transportation around Beautiful Barbados. Island Tours, Airport/Seaport Transfers, Weddings, Dinner/Lunch/Shopping. You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org
20. Reefz Luxo Airport & Seaport Transfers, Tours & Car Rentals . Mullins Bay, St. Peter : EMAIL email@example.com / Telephone 1-(246)-821-5802 or 1- (246)-231-5029
21. A's Taxi Service +1 246 240 3976. Clean 7-seater air conditioned taxi. Located on the South Coast. Very knowledgeable, reliable and very competitive. For Island Tours, ,Airport/Port Pick Ups, Weddings, Dinner/Lunch/Shopping or just to get from A to B. Would highly recommend.
22. Ken's Taxi Service #2462305144 or 2462570400. Very smart Mercedes R Class, luxurious and air conditioned. Very comfortable ride, friendly and great CD choice. Would highly reccomend, and Ken's singing along to the tracks is a bonus too!
23. Sylvester Taxi Service 246-267-8186 or 246-424-5237 firstname.lastname@example.org. THE BEST PRICES IN TOWN! Sylvester provides top notch service in a comfortable tour van. He goes all out to provide the best service. His etiquette and personality will win you over!
24. Sherwin's Taxi Service 246-822-4901 email@example.com. Sherwin drives a very comfortable tour van and provides service that can't be beat! Great prices!
W25. Booked a trip around the island before flight back to the UK with Orlando Ishmael in Bridgetown. He gave an excellent tour, was very knowledgable and took the party to wherever was requested. Waited patiently for however long was required. He had been booked a fortnight before. He turned up at the place and time arranged. His E-mail is firstname.lastname@example.org. The trip was a very good price. His taxi is Z851.
26. Antonio's Taxi Service 246 231-4135 email: email@example.com. Drives a 7-seater taxi, works a lot along the West Coast. Safe and reliable and good value. Very knowledgable about Barbados and its history, so a good tour guide.
27 All Stars Exclusive Taxi Service on the south coast Maxwell beach area call 246-261-2499 Email firstname.lastname@example.org
28. If you want to be collected from the cruise ship call Henderson. He has a Benz Van, seats 14 passenger and the island tour is great. He also offers luxury BMW Taxi as well. Call 12462562291 or Email email@example.com
29. Alleyne's Taxi Service - brothers Wayne (246) 233-0108 and Julian (246) 257-6469 will take you wherever you'd like to go on the island. Having both lived on the island their entire life they offer a unique glimpse to Barbados. Very prompt, affordable, and courteous.
30. Jenny's Shuttle - 13 passenger van. Jennifer Gibson (owner/operator) was absolutely fantastic! She was the friendliest driver anywhere in the Caribbean! She is prompt, courteous, and very reliable! 246-234-3612 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
31. R&R #1 Taxi Services - Ryan is polite, punctual, friendly and accommodating. Cell: 1(246)248-5672 / 423-8389 or email@example.com