When we arrived the the cottage was musty and un-aired but this was just the start of of our problems. All the towels were musty and we had to wash them before we could use them. The beds needed airing and the bedding smelled of smoke. The shower and the kitchen fridge had black mould, which I had to scrub before they could be used. The kitchen was damp with peeling paint and the wood burning stove had not been cleaned out. The overall upkeep and level of housekeeping was not up to standard and to top it off the water in the bathroom was not drinkable so we had to buy bottled water for the duration of out stay.
We complained to the agents who hid behind their terms and conditions like a petty bureaucracy.